20 Dec Have you considered joining one of ICAH’s Regional Networks?
The Illinois Caucus for Adolescent Health is a network of empowered youth and allied adults who transform public consciousness and increase the capacity of healthcare, family, and school systems to support the sexual health, identities, and rights of youth. We are focusing our attention on these critical systems on the premise that young people will interact with them in some capacity during their lives and all impact health in a profound way.
Through intentional base-building, members of these three networks are an integral part of our three-year organizing strategy to increase the capacity of adults to effectively partner with young people in order to improve programs, policies, and procedures that directly impact their lives.
In this model and in partnership with ICAH’s Youth Leadership Council we gather professionals in each network to discuss common trends, the impact and significance of participatory action research results from city-wide groups, and create change in these systems by engaging in concrete actions that advance our work.
By investing in strong youth-adult partnerships, we hope to make our vision of a world in which all young adults in Illinois use their power to achieve health and well being in their own lives and for their communities, a reality.
In early December, ICAH hosted three separate focus groups with professionals from Healthcare, Family, and School systems to gain insight for organizing in the next three years. Participants discussed our new priorities and preliminary ideas for an outreach model which groups stakeholders in these three critical systems that impact the sexual health of young people. Over the next six months, each network will work to improve a policy, program, or procedure as part of a larger strategy to create systematic change.
How to Join a Regional Network:
We are excited to build our partnership with Midwest Academy, who will advise us in our organizing work as we move forward. Visit the website for more information about Midwest Academy.
If you have further questions or would like to RSVP for orientation, please contact Tiffany Pryor at email@example.com or call 312-427-4460 ext 236.
Benefits of Network Participation:
- Network with other professionals in your field interested in the sexual health, rights, and identities of youth
- Partner with young people who are passionate about their sexual health, identities, and rights
- Encourage members of your personal and professional communities to improve programs, policies, and procedures that directly impact the sexual health, rights, and identities of young people
- Engage in skill-shares with other professionals and receive a discount for ICAH-led workshops
- Increased understanding of legislature that impacts the health and well being of young people
Seeking 5-7 members in each network are who are:
- Able to serve as a leadership team for a larger network of allied professionals
- Committed to adolescent sexual health, identities, and rights
- Able to share expertise in healthcare, family, or school systems
- Able to attend monthly meetings at the ICAH office or via conference call from January-June 2013
- Interested in fostering mutually respectful relationships with youth to engage in concrete change around adolescent sexual health, rights, and identities
- Interested in Reproductive Justice as a framework to empower individuals, build healthier families, and sustain strong communities
Minimum Projected 2012-2013 Activities: (Dates TBA)
- January: Monthly Leadership Team Meeting (2 hours)
- February: Monthly Leadership Team Meeting (2 hours), Network Meeting (2 hours)
- March: Monthly Leadership Team Meeting (2 hours), Advocacy Day (all day in late March)
- April: Monthly Leadership Team Meeting (2 hours)
- May: Monthly Leadership Team Meeting (2 hours), National Women’s Health Week Event/Mama’s Day (all day in early May)
- June: Monthly Leadership Team Meeting (2 months), Summit/Male Engagement Event (all day in mid June)