20 Jan Get Fast Facts from Advocates for Youth
As Of January 10, 2012 – Download the PDF of this document!
Estimated 48k new infections in 2009 – 1/3 among young people ages 13-29
- MSM ages 13-29 made up 60% of new infections among AA MSM
- MSM made up 69% of new infections among ages 13-29
- CDC HIV Incidence Estimates released August 2011
- Almost 30k young people living with HIV in US
- New in January: Only 22.6% of sexually active high school students have ever been tested for HIV
- 19 million new every year
- Young people ages 15-24 account for “almost half”
Teen Pregnancy and Birth
- 750 k teens ages 15-19 become pregnant every year
- The teen pregnancy rate is 71.5 pregnancies per 1000 young women ages 15-19
- The teen birth rate hit a record low of 34.3 births per 1000 teens in 2010
- Almost 368,000 teens ages 15-19 gave birth in 2010
- 16 million teens ages 15-19 give birth every year
- WHO: 10 Facts on Adolescent Health, Slide 3
- Almost one in three women has an abortion in her lifetime
- Adolescents ages 15-19 account for 16% of abortions
- 47k women die from unsafe abortion every year worldwide
- By the age of 19, 70 percent of young people have had sex.
- Guttmacher , “Facts on Amer. Teens Repro Health”
- 6 percent of all high school students (grades 9-12) have ever had sex; 62 percent of high school seniors report ever having had sex.
- In 2006–2010, about 43% of never-married female teenagers (4.4 million), and about 42% of never-married male teenagers (4.5 million) had had sexual intercourse at least once – a total of nearly 9 million teens who have already had sex.
Bullying and Harassment
- 48 % of students have been sexually harassed
- AAUW report, 2010
- 32% of all students have been bullied at school; 11% physically bullied
- 85% of LGBT students have been bullied at school, 28% physically
- GLSEN Climate Report 2009
With questions or comments, contact:
Director of Public Information Services
Advocates for Youth